More than 100 Chibok girls unwilling to leave Boko Haram: mayor

More than 100 Chibok girls unwilling to leave Boko Haram: mayor

PanARMENIAN.Net – Nigeria's government is negotiating the release of another 83 of the Chibok schoolgirls taken in a mass abduction two-and-a-half years ago, but more than 100 others appear unwilling to leave their Boko Haram Islamic extremist captors, a community leader said Tuesday, October 18, according to the Associated Press. The unwilling girls may have been radicalized by Boko Haram or are ashamed to return home because they have married extremists and have babies, chairman Pogu Bitrus of the Chibok Development Association told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. Bitrus said the 21 Chibok girls freed last week in the first negotiated release between Nigeria's government and Boko Haram should be educated abroad, because they will probably face stigma in Nigeria. The girls and their parents were reunited Sunday and are expected to meet with Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday or Wednesday, Bitrus said. Buhari flew to Germany on an official visit the day of the girls' release. Some 276 schoolgirls were kidnapped from a school in northeastern Chibok in April 2014. Dozens escaped early on and at least half a dozen have died in captivity, according to the newly freed girls, Bitrus said. All those who escaped on their own have left Chibok because, even though they were held only a few hours, they were labelled Boko Haram wives and taunted, he said. At least 20 of the girls are being educated in the United States. We would prefer that they are taken away from the…

Be the first to comment on "More than 100 Chibok girls unwilling to leave Boko Haram: mayor"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.